University Summer Course Grant
Course(s) Offered: Arts, Humanities
Course Level: Training (Bachelors, Masters, PhD)
Provider: DAAD Alumni Association
Country to Study in: Germany
The Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)/ German Academic Exchange Service offers the University Summer Course Grant to international students from Canada, the United States and other countries of the world to study in Germany.
This University Summer Course Grant provides fully funded scholarships to attend a broad range of 3- to 4-week summer language courses at German universities which focus mainly on German language and literary, cultural, political and economic aspects of modern and contemporary Germany. Extensive extracurricular programs complement and reinforce the core material.
A number of the University Summer Course Grants are made possible by the DAAD Alumni Association of the US, including one that is specially earmarked for an applicant in the fine arts.
DAAD Scholarship Eligibility
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD degree programs in any subject area; Bachelor students must have completed at least two academic years at the start of the scholarship period.
- Students in the last year of a Bachelor program are eligible to apply if they intend to start a Master’s degree program shortly after completing their BA. Please attach a letter of confirmation from the university as proof.
What requirements must be met?
- Unless stated otherwise, foreign nationals may be eligible if they have been full-time students/scholars in a degree program at an accredited Canadian or US university for more than one year at the time of application.
- The grant holder must be at least 18 years old when he/she starts the funded stay.
- Applicants must be registered at a university in their home country or in their country of permanent residence (except Germany) at the time their funded stay begins.
- An applicant may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a University Summer Course Grant.
- Applicants must be able to follow lectures and collaborate in teams. The required German language skills should be equivalent at least to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Citizens of ALL countries
All approved German universities
Fields of study
The program funds attendance of language and area studies courses as well as special language / terminology courses that are offered by state or state-recognized German universities and by affiliated language schools.
Scholarships are available for courses lasting a minimum of three weeks.
There is a one-off payment of €950, which covers tuition, room and board in whole or in part. Accommodations are arranged by the host institution. In addition, DAAD will provide a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe)
DAAD Scholarship Method of Application
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
University Summer Course Grant
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Your application is only complete when we have received your complete electronic application via the online portal and reference by post.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on application requirements and procedures for this scholarship programme
Application period is from September 14, 2019 to December 1, 2019
Incomplete applications cannot be processed. Application materials will not be returned. No reasons for a decision will be given.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is a private, publicly funded, self governing organization of higher education institutions in Germany founded in 1925. The DAAD is the world’s largest funding organisation for the international exchange of students and researchers.
Application Deadline: 1 December